The Myth of the Rising Stocks over Time
I really never looked at the DOW as an indicator. There seem to be some high twitch, day traders who play the market like a slot machine. When I invest, it is usually in 100 share amounts for a long, long time. E.g. I’ve owned Amgen since the late 80s. My window now is shorter, like 10-20 years. When I was 25 my portfolio view was more like 30 years, but required periodic refinement when futuristic estimates are wrong or shocking changes happened.

I spend time researching the specific company looking at how it is run, and the decisions their leadership have made. I look at the industry, look at its potential, and risks. I look at their competition and what they are doing.

Often, you can be led to profitable upswings by looking at big trends affecting populations... even heat waves, or drought in the SW USA can be potentially profitable. If there is a company that needs investment to cure cancer, improve lives, or curb anthropogenic environmental effects, that may... and I mean a cautious may, be a good investment if a bunch of things go right. If you are wrong , then get out when you can minimize loss, or as conscience dictates. I’m careful to invest in companies who are moral, and if they do something I can’t support, I get out.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Myth of the Rising Stocks over Time - by kandrathe - 07-07-2018, 04:57 PM