So now, it seems non-conformity is a form of mental illness
(05-16-2014, 04:01 PM)FireIceTalon Wrote: Ah yes, more 'great man theories' to explain why the world sucks so badly. Those damn commies (replace that with right-wingers too for the sake of being unbiased if you must), its all their fault!!!
No, the opposite (if there is such a thing as the "little man theory"). There is too much myopia, and too much irrational short term self interest. Without dialog and compromises, we form a cacophony of disparate views, and no solutions. We don't need "great", we need "reasonable".

(05-16-2014, 04:01 PM)FireIceTalon Wrote: Politics is...
Let's compare and contrast...
according to Wikipedia Wrote:the ...practice and theory of influencing other people on a civic or individual level. More narrowly, it refers to achieving and exercising positions of governance — organized control over a human community, particularly a state.
according to FireIceTalon Wrote:... the expression and embodiment of 'interests' (ultimately in the context of class).

I would say the expression of interests is; a) a conversation, b) possibly a debate, or c) an argument. Ultimately, for you, everything is in context to class. You could just as well replace that with "ummmm", since its an superfluous bit of dialog. I would like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is an expression of interest, but not at all political (afaik).

(05-16-2014, 04:01 PM)FireIceTalon Wrote: The absurdity in this is pretty striking, but I will attempt to reply in as civil as a manner as possible.
Of course, for us to not be absurd, we'd need to be communists. No one ever walked their communist talk, ever. No one ever formed a commune, ever.

Quote:Firstly, the State itself is an agent of the capitalist system - despite the fantastic notion that libertarians make that you can have a capitalist system without one or with one that is so miniscule you wont even know is there. Well I suppose you could - for about a week maybe before it all comes crashing down and then you DO have a revolution.
This is an "all or none" fallacy. Less does not mean zero. Our government(s), due to their immense size, are in fact a huge part of the economy. Point made. I think I have frequently said many times that government is a necessary part of an ordered society. What the American failed experiment was is the possibility of crafting a government which did not ultimately oppress some people for the benefit of others. Where we are now in the US is that a small minority of "wealthy elite" through government, control the lives of a tended majority trapped in a system bereft of opportunity, and who minimally supplement a small minority of poor.

However, you imply there is no difference between the government and the capitalists. Au contrair, mon ami. The corporations (without State coercion) have no power over my lifestyle, unless I am entirely blacklisted and need to trade my labor for goods. Government has coercive power, through law, and police, and punishment. I can resist powerful business interests, if I live in a just society. When government is corrupted, and powerful, I have no recourse but to capitulate to the whims of the State. It seems in part, we have the same goals. I, however, can live equitably with rich people, and powerful corporations as long as we have individual liberty and protected rights in a fair and free State truly governed by "the will of the people".

The third leg of your implication is that if there is no difference, then schools are an apparatchik of corporate interest. Reams of data and studies refute this notion. Here is yet another.

Quote:Secondly. Neither communism nor capitalism for that matter are lifestyles. Minor detail there.
You are not communism. I am not capitalism. You and I have lifestyles. Semantics aside.

Quote:And of course they do those things - they are making a rational economic decision that is available to them, and in many (most?) cases, there isn't really any other option. Which proves my and their point - that their lives are dictated entirely by and around the social relationships of capitalism. I'm a communist, but I wear t-shirts that were made by some poor and exploited factory worker in Honduras. Why? Because clothing is a basic necessity, and therefore I have little choice in the matter.
Have you ever studied the Amana communities? If you, and your cadre of like minded comrades so desired you could "stick it to the man". Where, the man, in this case is capitalism. Choose not to participate. Give your Marx t-shirt to some other worthy, but less committed radical wannabe. Grow some flax or cotten, and make something yourself. {not necessarily in that order...}

Quote:However, that doesn't mean I support the current way of things. Nor does it mean I can single-handedly change it. That doesn't make me a hypocrite, that just means I am making a rational economic decision based on a particular set of circumstances.
You are making the choices offered to you by capitalists, and taking the easy road. Walk your talk, and then tell me how great it is/was.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: So now, it seems non-conformity is a form of mental illness - by kandrathe - 05-16-2014, 04:35 PM