So now, it seems non-conformity is a form of mental illness
Oppositional Defiant Disorder, is a little more than what that article makes it out to be. Once you have spent time around someone who is truly ODD, it's pretty easy to differentiate.

The problem is, it is a blanket diagnosis given, when parents complain and complain and complain, similar to how ADHD is diagnosed (wrongly) quite frequently. As the husband of a mental health professional, I look at articles like this, and the reaction that it has caused in some, and I just shake my head. Misinformation, misdiagnosis, mistreatment of a misdiagnosed patient, and the awesome terms like "pseudo-science" that get bantered around in conjunction with this, only serves to make the job harder. I hear about. Oh, do I hear about it.

My son exhibited ODD type traits for a long time. It wasn't ODD. It was a natural reaction to the awful shit that his mother had put him through. Eventually, he grew out of it. We figured he would. I mean. What 9 year old kid isn't going to exhibit some very frustrating behavior after their mother loses custody because she kicked out her husband (step dad), moved in her boyfriend (Crack Dealer), and started cooking rock in the home?

Yeah... That's going to mess with you.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright

Messages In This Thread
RE: So now, it seems non-conformity is a form of mental illness - by shoju - 05-12-2014, 09:26 PM