Citizen's United II - the other foot
Who is to say what is cheating? The preponderance of bike racing enthusiasts, who write the rule book. If the biking rules were rewritten to allow certain performance enhancing, then it is akin to changing the rules on the 1st amendment freedom to spend money placing political ads.

If you fight against changing the biking rules, and lose that battle -- do you go against your principles and then do what you fought against, because the rules say you can? I'd still say that this is where politics becomes unprincipled. Like the guy who said, "If elected, I will fight against the growing money in politics and not take any PAC contributions." Who then goes on to become the largest consumer of PAC contributions.

In my life it comes up in the kinds of freelance work I have the opportunity to do, and I often refuse to take certain jobs when the ethics of the organization, or people in the organization conflict with my own. For example, one principle I adhere to is that I'm careful to not use my skills to build anything that would be used to cause harm people (e.g. missile guidance systems). Somebody will take the job and do it, and maybe they don't care. I don't want to wonder if I helped some third world dictator massacre innocents. So, I might be idealistic. But, that's the way I roll and why I'd make a lousy politician. I can't lie to people.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Citizen's United II - the other foot - by kandrathe - 08-09-2013, 12:29 AM