Citizen's United II - the other foot
(08-08-2013, 01:26 PM)kandrathe Wrote: And, vice versa, which is all I'm saying.

And what, vice versa? Republicans are whining about the results of repealing a rule they themselves opposed. Democrats did what?

Quote:In fact, its also irony when powerful advocacy who reject CU are using funds by big money liberals, like the Ford Foundation, which are enabled by CU.

Some one who is consistent in their beliefs, does not blow with the wind. If clubbing baby seals is legal, I'm still against it, even when doing so might further my fight against it.

This is not ironic, nor is the comparison with clubbing baby seals (lol) a reasonable one. Campaign finance issues are tricky because of the problem of competition. If Team R is playing by the actual rules, and Team D playing by what they'd prefer the rules to be, this means a structural advantage for Team R. And that means (and this is actually irony), that trying to lead by example actually results in the bad rules being harder to overturn.

If you think that all legislation must be pure as driven snow, not only well-motivated and with good effects, but brought about by the purest conceivable methods, then I applaud your idealism, but seriously? This bears no resemblance to how US politics works, or ever has worked.

To make a different, and I think more credible, analogy: I can be against nuclear weapons, but also not believe that only one side should get rid of them, because of the problems that result from asymmetrical possession of nuclear arms. It makes perfect sense to support *mutual* disarmament, but not *unilateral* disarmament.

-Jester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Citizen's United II - the other foot - by Jester - 08-08-2013, 04:37 PM