Just when I was thinking of selling my T-34
(01-19-2013, 03:06 PM)Jester Wrote: First, that's a number of guns stolen per year, which is obviously a lot different from a stock Second, the comparison with the US gun census is irrelevant. Canada and Mexico do not care how many guns you keep secure, we care how many guns are NOT secure. Third, your estimates of how many stay in the US are just guesses.
It is "normal" when one side of a border has a prohibition, and the other side is permissive that things would get smuggled from the permissive side to the restrictive side. This is how it was during the US prohibition on alcohol, when Canadian whiskey freely flowed south. So, pick your commodity; alcohol, guns, cigarettes, sex slaves, or radical extremists. Criminals will thwart the law anyway, and prohibitions open black markets. If there is no effective way to enforce your border to prevent the flood of drugs from South America, or 15,000 stolen guns from coming north, what will you do? You cannot afford to effectively police the Canadian border, any more than the US can afford to police it's southern border with Mexico. Another interesting view of where the arms imported into the US come from, and it is no surprise to me that most of our rifles imported come from Canada and that our handguns come from Brazil, and Europe. You prohibit them from your own populations, but you still make them, and we buy them -- some get stolen and now you complain about the dispersions from criminals smuggling? It's kind of like the drug cartel king pin complaining when he catches his daughter smoking dope.

And, we think that the prohibition will work this time if we only make it global? Who made all those Glock's and AK47's on US streets? According to the Small Arms Survey 2012, the US exports 715 million in small arms, Canada exports at least 100 million and is 1/10 the size of the US -- ergo exports more arms per capita than the US. Small arms are made by over 1100 manufacturers in about 100 nations. In general, I'd say the US is a net buyer of small arms, since we have the rights to own them. If we legalized marijuana, Canada would have the same problem with weed gushing north too.

Quote:Telling me that crime is about the same on both sides of the border does not affect this claim.
My point is that in comparison of "we are 1.5 and you are 5.7" are disingenuous since when "all things being equal" the rates are equal. Which means... There is no correlation between violence and the number of guns. However, there is clear evidence of a link between ALL crime and urbanization, this also includes violent crimes. It appears that if we want to reduce crime to nearly zero, we'll all need to return to small towns and farms. Smile

The incidence of mental illness influenced violence is a constant across all populations -- so if you have more population you have more murder and suicides by the mentally ill.

Quote:Because there have been so many terrorist attacks on the US from Canada?
Some, yes. About as many as have slipped past our other ports of entry. I liked that link as it was a Canadian Security Intelligence Services warning us of the risks you pose to the US; "Many Canadians may be surprised to learn that, with the exception of the United States, there are more terrorist groups active in Canada today than in any other country in the world."
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just when I was thinking of selling my T-34 - by kandrathe - 01-19-2013, 05:29 PM