Just when I was thinking of selling my T-34
(01-11-2013, 06:49 PM)FireIceTalon Wrote: We are humans, and I understand that all political debate is bound to spark some sort of emotion. But it is important to be as objective as possible, and using loaded terms like "freedom", "tyranny", "liberty" defeats the purpose.
They are misusing them in that context, as do you when you define freedom as "For example, during slavery, southerners had the freedom to own slaves". Having the law and society on your side doesn't make it a "freedom" issue -- freedom is the absence of coercion and control. Who has the means of coercion and control? Who can implement systems of inequality using this coercion and control? In the spectrum of anarchy to dictatorship, we need to draw a line.

We do need a little governance to guarantee our human rights are applied equally. But, in the end, the existence of ANY law curtails some freedom. However, without a society of law, and governance, we have only the law of the jungle.

We can bandy about the meaning of "freedom", but I know what the lack of it looks like.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just when I was thinking of selling my T-34 - by kandrathe - 01-11-2013, 07:54 PM