Egypt: who didn't see this coming?
Islamic law, is so much more than religion over there. It's a part of the culture. I was hopeful, that the young people, and those who want change, were finally starting to out number those who are rooted in an old way of doing things. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an element of fear in the vote.

Fear of Change.
Fear of "What happens to me if I vote for 'freedom'"
Fear of losing the "Faith"
Fear of plunging into "Anarchy" through change.
Fear of the unknown.

The "Law" has been beat into people, and the fear is real. Their culture has become dependent on it, because it is normalcy. It's sort of how we Americans get all hot and bothered about "freedom" (as a society) get a little stupid about it being our "right" and our "freedom" when something might change our perspective. It's a culture thing. And change needs to happen gradually, and at the will of the population if it's a real change that will last.

I don't think that this is the end, and I do think (maybe a little naively and hopefully) that things will change. I don't think that this chapter of history is finished writing itself just yet.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright

Messages In This Thread
RE: Egypt: who didn't see this coming? - by Taem - 12-17-2012, 04:16 AM
RE: Egypt: who didn't see this coming? - by Taem - 12-18-2012, 05:00 AM
RE: Egypt: who didn't see this coming? - by shoju - 12-17-2012, 03:57 PM
RE: Egypt: who didn't see this coming? - by Tris - 12-25-2012, 08:09 AM