Bourgeois pigs kill suicidal 16 year old boy.
(11-09-2012, 07:42 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 07:05 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: I really don't see how birth is a nuance. Surely you noticed what a production it was when you watched your own children be born?
Yes, but I also considered it a child before the day it was born. Is it protected by law the day before it was born? Moving from the womb into the air suddenly makes it human? I thought we might rely on science.

As mentioned above, relying on your emotional response is an individual affair, not a legal affair. Relying on science is a moving target. We need to have a line drawn in the sand somewhere for legal purposes.

Personally, my line in the sand is when the fetus can survive outside the mother's body aka birth. Before that, it might as well be considered a parasite for legal purposes. (This is not to say that was my personal feeling about my children before birth; it is a legal line in the sand.)

(11-09-2012, 07:42 PM)kandrathe Wrote: In my State, we do have a fetal homicide law. In the US, 38 states and the Federal government have fetal homicide laws and 12 consider it assault and battery.

And in my State, we have no law on this issue at all.

(11-09-2012, 07:42 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 05:32 PM)Jester Wrote: Birth. If not, why don't we arrest expectant mothers for unlawful imprisonment?
Really? You might do the same to me when I send my sons to their rooms to do their homework. So, if a woman WANTS her child, but someone else kills it, you don't think it's different than a slug in the eye?

I understand the reticence of pro-abortion folks to not attempt to hold the line at the birth event, but it truly makes no sense scientifically. The process is a continuum, where it starts as cells and ends up a child. At some tipping point depending on your definition of what a child is, it gets civil rights. I don't believe it's day one, but it surely isn't the day of birth either.

Again, your emotional decision and the law do not need to be the same thing. But the law has to have a clear demarkation point and birth works quite well for that purpose.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bourgeois pigs kill suicidal 16 year old boy. - by ShadowHM - 11-09-2012, 08:21 PM