Hardware lurkers - help me find a new video card!
(10-26-2012, 05:31 AM)LochnarITB Wrote: Are you playing under DirectX? Have you tried switching WoW to OpenGL (if that is still possible?)? Have your tried reinstalling DirectX?

I tried re-installing DirectX, but you can't fully uninstall it because it's part of Windows. The installer just sees that I have the current version and stops there.

Anyways, I think I've solved my problems. I'm not exactly sure how, but I was removing/reinstalling a lot of windows components and drivers. I think that my original problems were due to a combination of videocard failure and driver issues. I might not have needed the new PSU I bought, but I don't regret it. Everything seems to be running well gaming-wise - no artifacts, no black screens. My new videocard is staying at a cool 43°C under load and has been stable.

(10-26-2012, 05:31 AM)LochnarITB Wrote: (although I would assume reinstalling Win7 would accomplish the same thing)

Win7? Funny you should mention that. I am actually still using XP (32-bit at that). I just never had need to "upgrade" beyond it.

But now it looks like Microsoft is offering Windows 8 for $39.99, which I might just take advantage of - unless someone gives me a compelling reason to stick to 32-bit XP.

fake edit - i just saw this:

Quote: If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8, but you'll need to buy Windows 8 as a DVD.

You also won't be able to keep any files, settings, or apps when you upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version.

Not really a deal-breaker for me, but it bumps the cost up a bit.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hardware lurkers - help me find a new video card! - by DeeBye - 10-27-2012, 01:54 AM