Hardware lurkers - help me find a new video card!
Welp, this is getting incredibly frustrating. I've swapped video cards, added a new 120mm case fan, and bought a new 700W PSU to try and solve my problems. I still have issues.

I can do regular non-gaming computer stuff like web-browsing and e-mail all day long with no trouble, but after about 5-20 minutes of actual 3D gaming I'm still getting crashes with a "VPU recover" notice. I'm wondering if I just spent $200 on new components when it really might be just a software issue. I've swapped video cards between my old 4890 and my new 6770 a few times, and I always have huge issues with removing/re-installing the drivers. I either get errors while uninstalling the old drivers, or when install the new ones. I've tried Driver Cleaner and Driver Fusion, but nothing seems to completely solve it.

Right now I'm in the process of backing up everything and I'm going to try a complete format/re-install of Windows. I just don't know what else to do.

edit: i decided against RMA'ing my 6770 because I can't be absolutely sure it's defective at this point, and it would cost me a 15% restocking fee + shipping if I sent it back to the online vendor. If it does turn out to be defective, Gigabyte has a 3-year warrantee so I could always just send it back to them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hardware lurkers - help me find a new video card! - by DeeBye - 10-26-2012, 03:25 AM