Driverless Cars and the Future
I've been giving this a lot of thought lately (traffic), and after reading reports on projected city growth versus new freeways being built or widened, I've come to the rather obvious conclusion that many experts have already stated that our current automobile system is unsustainable in it's current form into the near future due to space and cost expense. With the city of LA's population poised to double every ten-years or so, unless a significant amount of a cities income were set aside to battle these types of issues, then we will soon be gridlocked all of the time.

Which bring me to Governor Browns signing into law the allowing of driverless cars on the road. (wiki link here also); (video here). In theory, these cars can react faster than any human could to danger and see danger 360-degrees, and when more cars become driverless, they can interact with one-another, eventually going at top-speed down the freeway, breaking in unison to let in new drivers. This is really the wave of the future and we are not only on the cutting edge, but the only sustainable future for us, and Google has it nailed!

So what do you think of driverless cars? Current laws signed by Gov. Jerry Brown assert that a licensed driver still need to be behind the wheel in case of an emergency. What do you think about that?

I feel as more and more cars become driverless, this will become obsolete and eventually, fleets of taxi's will be ran from a computer owned by some billionaire. Kids will be able to taxi, elderly with their drivers license suspended, those with DUI's. It's the future I see coming.

I also feel the speed limit will become obsolete within mere decades of ALL (repeat ALL) cars becoming driverless, as the only limitations are of that of the car itself. And with that, I see there being a FAST, MEDIUM, and SLOW lane for cars, depending on how much you spent on your car. yes, cars - and the speed they maneuver - will become class dependent on how much money you have. This is inevitable.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Derp... forgot to add the most important part... So how will driverless cars change traffic? Because once all of America has driverless cars, the network which oversees their location and movement will be able to move cars where they need to be to minimize and maximize speed and space to allow every nook and cranny to be utilized. For example, cars can drive 100-MPH and be mere feet from one another (assuming all driverless cars have a full diagnostic system on-board to detect tire pressure, break system, etc.) allowing for a constant, quick flow. They will be able to adjust for slight variances and accidents and reroute efficiently. I'm sure there are more examples I can rack up later, but I must return to work.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin

Messages In This Thread
Driverless Cars and the Future - by Taem - 10-25-2012, 08:23 PM
RE: Driverless Cars and the Future - by Alram - 10-26-2012, 03:00 AM
RE: Driverless Cars and the Future - by eppie - 10-26-2012, 11:03 AM
RE: Driverless Cars and the Future - by LavCat - 10-26-2012, 04:21 PM
RE: Driverless Cars and the Future - by kandrathe - 10-26-2012, 04:13 PM
RE: Driverless Cars and the Future - by Taem - 10-26-2012, 11:36 PM
RE: Driverless Cars and the Future - by Kevin - 10-27-2012, 03:33 AM
RE: Driverless Cars and the Future - by DeeBye - 10-27-2012, 03:45 AM
RE: Driverless Cars and the Future - by Nystul - 10-26-2012, 08:11 PM
RE: Driverless Cars and the Future - by Kevin - 10-26-2012, 11:19 PM
RE: Driverless Cars and the Future - by Alram - 10-27-2012, 04:58 AM