Windows games on Linux!
That's right. I am running Windows games on Linux! Thanks to a nifty program produced from a fork of the popular software WINE, I can now install and RUN Windows games on my (new) Linux box! :D

So far, I've tested Warcraft II: BNE, and Thief. They both ran fine, although Thief was a wee bit sluggish. Not bad, just not as crisp as I'm used to. Still very playable, although without a sound card installed on the box, I can't test sound for any games. :( There's lots more games that are "supported", but it's an ongoing process getting support for them. Some games will work fine, even if they aren't "supported", but others have issues (Diablo among them, supposedly, although D2 works flawlessly). And, best of all, Blizzard games DO work on Battle.Net! :D Some are a little sketchy, but most (if not all) work great.

I intend to try and test out loads more games, and keep track of which ones work well, and which ones need more development, for my own records as well as for the WineX developers. Their service is subscription based ($5 a month, with 3-months up-front), but dirt cheap, and not only does it grant you their software, but also influence as to the direction of future developments (via polling in the various forums). I highly recommend any Linux lovers to check them out. :) Especially if you're big into gaming.

http://www.transgaming.com/

BTW - I'm using Mandrake Linux 9.1, with WineX 3.1. Just an FYI, for those interested. ;)
Roland *The Gunslinger*

Messages In This Thread
Windows games on Linux! - by Roland - 07-21-2003, 05:09 PM
Windows games on Linux! - by pakman - 07-21-2003, 05:22 PM
Windows games on Linux! - by Zedd - 08-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Windows games on Linux! - by lemekim - 08-13-2003, 03:41 AM
Windows games on Linux! - by Zedd - 08-13-2003, 05:42 AM