My town is burning down around me.
40 Suspicious Fires now since June 13th.

And, according to this article, we have

Quote:...the only person remaining in the department's fire prevention bureau, is working on the case daily, and the state fire marshal’s office is assisting.

The city police department has loaned a detective to help with the investigation, and crime analyst Bev Lewis is mapping the sites to see if any trends emerge.

TWO LOCAL PEOPLE, WITH SOME HELP FROM THE STATE FIRE MARSHALL.

I'm just... To give this some perspective, Mansfield is not a big place. 29.9 SQ Miles, and 47,821 people according to the 2010 census. We are not a big place at all.

The Conspiracy Theories started in late august, when after 2 and a half months we were at around 20 fires. They range from
  • The city is doing it to clean up the abandoned properties.
  • The city is doing it to prove that we need more firefighters (we have lost a lot since '08)
  • It's a secret rebuilding process for Fannie May and Freddie Mac. Burn down the abandoned stuff, so that they can swoop in and buy it all and use it to rebuild the company (I would be doing a disservice to the crazies if I didn't mention theirs)
  • It's the (insert the opposite political party of what you support) trying to use it as a way to scare the low income neighborhoods into voting for them by spreading fear

Personally, I think there is a group of people who like seeing things burn, and they know that the abandoned stuff wont get anyone killed. There was a short break between the first few, and then second round. Almost like a waiting period to see fi they were caught. When they weren't, now they are at it, and it's escalating.

Four Fires this week. And now, it seems like some of the fires are more intense. More... destructive.

It seems like only a matter of time before this town is burnt to the ground, and all we have working the case is 1 firefighter, 1 mansfield gumshoe detective, and some "help" from the state fire marshall's office.

I just can't help but wonder what in the HELL its going to take before a larger agency steps in and gets this handled.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright

Messages In This Thread
My town is burning down around me. - by shoju - 10-18-2012, 08:31 PM
RE: My town is burning down around me. - by Kevin - 10-18-2012, 09:19 PM
RE: My town is burning down around me. - by shoju - 10-19-2012, 01:44 PM
RE: My town is burning down around me. - by eppie - 10-19-2012, 02:11 PM
RE: My town is burning down around me. - by shoju - 10-31-2012, 01:22 PM
RE: My town is burning down around me. - by Tal - 10-31-2012, 04:53 PM