Hotfix 6/28 -- Item drop rate changes
The dps difference between ilvl 63 items and ilvl 60 items is pretty dramatic. Even blue ilvl 63 items are pretty amazing to someone transitioning into Act 1 inferno. Also, the values on the ilvl 63 items can be so high that you don't have to have a "perfect" item with every prefix and suffix being useful to be useful in early inferno. Maybe you do need more perfect rolls for Act III/IV Inferno. But after this change, you get a greater chance of finding items that can spawn those high value prefixes and suffixes. Plus, if you didn't need more perfect rolls to be able to be effective in Act III/IV, we'd be complaining that the game was too easy, like D2.

Archon_Wing Wrote:So , Blizzard knowing best?
RedRadical Wrote:Blizz knowing what is best is laughable

Don't put words into my mouth that I didn't use. There's a difference between saying that the game needs some changes and making some positive suggestions for changes that you would like to see and griping incessantly about every aspect of a game that for some reason you keep playing and about the company that makes it. Blizzard said several things up front that they haven't deviated from. First, normal-hell was balanced and designed to be done pretty straight-forwardly. If you liked the ease of D2, well, D3 hell is more difficult than D2 but you can progress at a nice steady pace up to the end of hell. Done. The game is well balanced and satisfying up through the end of hell. However, Inferno is designed for those who said D2's difficulty was a complete and utter joke. It's designed to be hard, and guess what? We got our wish. It's hard. It is designed to be a grindy slogfest where you are expected to farm in Act III/IV hell for a while to be able to do well in Inferno Act I and then farm in Inferno Act I to be able to progress into Inferno Act II, etc. This was stated up front.

However, Blizzard also said up front that they didn't playtest Inferno as thoroughly as they did normal-hell. This was a frank and open admission. We had the phrase that everyone likes to quote where their playtesters got Inferno mobs to the health and damage outputs to where they were comfortable and then they "doubled it." Well, yeah, that was a mistake that they recently rectified.

They also didn't catch all of the possible treasure exploits and skill/gear combination exploits before release. Perhaps asking them to have caught beforehand all possible combinations that millions of players would later find is asking too much. However, they've done a lot in this area like nerfing Force Armor and knocking down the proc rates on certain skills that really had to be done. Also, their lack of foresight on how powerful stacked IAS would become not only as a dps mechanism but as a resource generator was regrettable. It was better that they fixed it early, though, than to keep stringing people along and then applying the necessary nerf later.

Finally, Blizzard said from the beginning that they wanted the best loot to drop as a result of killing elite packs and bosses. All of their efforts to increase drops off elite packs and bosses while nerfing magic find and drop rates off chests and breakables is related to this philosophy. I hope at some point they'll remove the treasure goblin spawn points that appear near set waypoints as well. Blizzard actually wants players to go out into the world and kill things in order to get the best treasure. Go figure.

However, I have to say that this change in drop rates concerns me as it seems rather out of the blue. It seems like Blizzard is caving in to the "let's make it easy like D2" crowd. I'm especially worried about their comments about the legendary items they are making that they claim will live up to their legendary name. If they end up being too legendary, then the game will shift away from people trying to get good rares to the "legendary or bust" mentality of D2. Plus, if Blizzard doesn't increase the game's difficulty to compensate for these items, the game will get to be so easy that it'll just be silly.

By the way, RedRadical, you've made several comments about being interested in PvP, when it comes out. My recommendation to you is to stop bothering with Inferno. Just farm hell with a lot of gold find gear and get a ton of gold together, because skills are going to get a massive overhaul in 1.1, and we don't know yet what stats will be important in the PvP game. I suspect that your PvE gear and your PvP gear will end up looking quite different.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hotfix 6/28 -- Item drop rate changes - by MongoJerry - 06-29-2012, 08:51 PM