The evolution of friendly fire
(04-11-2012, 07:55 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: It's been awhile since I've poked at the D3 beta but I do seem to recall thinking I had seen something like that happening.

I did like friendly fire in D1 too, the only issue was the massive desync problems that resulted in a lot of "Ow ow ow ow ow ow!" comments because of arrows hitting me in the back because I'm in a different tile on the host machine than I am on my machine, or the rogue or sorc was in a different tile than they thought, so the fire angles were wrong for what the host thought and you would be pelting someone by mistake. Saying "Ow ow ow ow ow ow!" out loud was the proper response as it was funny and we all knew what was going. So someone would crane their neck to see the host machines screen to figure out where it thought they were so they could adjust.

Yes I played it a lot on LAN not so much on Battle.net

The desync on battle net was usually a lot worse than it would be on a LAN game. Sometimes to the point that a PK could get in screen range and kill you before your client even would show them on the mini map.

To Kylearan: this type of problem and desire to have some non-single target effects (circle areas, cones, broad swaths, etc.) to broaden the varieties of skills in use, is why most online games like the Diablo series and MMOs have had to resort to no friendly fire method of play. The damage you see the monster doing in D3 is part of their push to make more of a dynamic environment interaction. Consider the achievment for killing a certain number of mobs using the dungeon terrain (chandeliers or propped up weak wall areas are the more noticeable).

Messages In This Thread
The evolution of friendly fire - by Kylearan - 04-11-2012, 07:31 PM
RE: The evolution of friendly fire - by Tal - 04-11-2012, 07:50 PM
RE: The evolution of friendly fire - by Treesh - 04-12-2012, 12:08 AM
RE: The evolution of friendly fire - by Lissa - 04-12-2012, 12:18 AM
RE: The evolution of friendly fire - by Kevin - 04-11-2012, 07:55 PM
RE: The evolution of friendly fire - by Ruvanal - 04-11-2012, 09:18 PM
RE: The evolution of friendly fire - by Kylearan - 04-12-2012, 11:51 AM