This is why Westboro Baptist Church is a joke
(10-13-2011, 03:22 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(10-13-2011, 02:52 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: Sometimes yes, you do have go on faith, work from something that seems right but really hasn't been able to really be tested because there isn't a way to test it yet and there may never be. You can even question it. But again you can still learn and discover and progress so you do. You don't always want to reinvent the wheel, but you also don't want to feel that the wheel is the only way to get around. That's the whole point.
I don't disagree with this. You do see the inconstancy in that on the one hand we must not talk about the "God" theory, but any other empty unproven/unprovable theory is acceptable.

I didn't speak about that at all. But yes I'm OK with it as long as you still present it as "there is a theory that God did this but you are still free to question it, if you want more information you should talk with someone more familiar with religious studies as they can give you more information than I can." That is what the idea behind science is and I actually had it presented to me that way then we moved on to talking about how to measure, observer, and question and how the current theories fit this. You can talk about it, sure, but a public school is not the place to teach it. Just like I had string theory mentioned but since at the time the Big Bang Theory was the most accepted that is what was discussed more in depth and it was brought up that, yep the theory falls short here. I was told what classes I could take if I wanted to learn more about string theory though.

Quote:With marriage, we've failed, as this obviously religious idea has permeated our legal framework.

I agree that marriage should be a religious thing, but it hasn't always been. My limited understanding of it's history seems to tell me that it has usually been a financial contract that had nothing to do with religion or love and had a lot to do with money and buying the rights to sexually own a woman.

Even the "religious history" of marriage can be questioned as this little cartoon likes to point out.

---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.

Messages In This Thread
RE: This is why Westboro Baptist Church is a joke - by Kevin - 10-13-2011, 03:59 PM