This is why Westboro Baptist Church is a joke
(10-08-2011, 11:33 PM)Jester Wrote: Societal norms, traditions, and institutions do not have human rights. To be opposed to them might be good or bad, but it isn't bigoted. To be opposed to peoples' rights, simply on the basis of some arbitrary fact about them (gender, race, sexuality), to say that they should not enjoy the freedoms enjoyed by others entirely on that basis, is bigoted, and is so regardless of the reasons.
Well, you know my position. If somehow politicians could get to dismantling the centuries of commingling "marriage" with law, then I would support them in that effort. I support the rights of people to practice their faith without interference by the government when those practices don't trample other basic rights. People don't have the right to marriage. It is a religious sacrament, bestowed by a clergy member of a church. When the state gets involved, what it does is a legal process. So, where the difficulty lies is in confusing the state thing with the religious thing. Everybody has the right to the state thing, and it would be less of an issue if they just called it "Civil Union" for everyone. But, I think there is a political goal by some on the left too, which is to tear down religion, tradition, and social norms. So both sides will struggle until everyone is covered in mud, and no one is happy with the outcome.
Quote:Case in point: Bill Clinton.
Well, it was hardly him alone. A litany of prominent democrats voted 'yea' to get it to his desk. And... you notice how prominently it is featured in our debates now. Not. It might resurface as a political ping-pong ball during election season to fire up the base, but it will likely get buried again once the kerfuffle settles.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: This is why Westboro Baptist Church is a joke - by kandrathe - 10-08-2011, 11:54 PM