Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods...
(09-26-2011, 08:20 PM)[wcip]Angel Wrote: But it doesn't have to. That's why I mentioned The Witcher 2. The tint/hew could have been a skill/augmentation, and I wouldn't have given it any thought. Just give us the gobbledygook to explain it, and I'm happy as a clam.

"We gave him AI object prioritization as part of his neural implants." -David Sarif, (hypothetical)

... would that have made you feel better? If so, why?

Quote:And I do realise that I'm a hypocrite; choosing to keep the tint when I could just as easily turn it off. Upon starting the game, that was the first thing I rummaged through the options menu looking to check off, but when I did I found myself spending an annoying amount of time and energy simply moving my cursor over a lot of background clutter looking for that arbitrary pile that was actually interactive.

Okay, so I understand you prefaced this paragraph correctly, but... I'm still confused. If you want it, have it. If you don't want it, don't have it. This sounds like complaining that the game is too easy, without having put it on the harder difficulties. If they give you the choice, use it... right?

Quote:It was so much easier in the original where the designers didn't fill our screen with lots of stuff lying around in every office and on every desk. In trying to create a more immersive game world by adding more newspapers, files, books, realistic office-supplies and other items strewn about the gameworld, they have created the need for a tool to sift through all the clutter in order to find the small percentage that is actually interactive, and thus through that tool, immersion is ironically degraded (IMO).

Yeah, things were much better before everything was interactive. Or, wait, I'm remembering something from the distant past...

Quote:I remember one of the neat things about MGS2 was the ability to shoot bottles and glasses in the bar, and they would shatter into a thousand pieces. Shooting the ice bucket would send iceubes flying around the room. In DE3, shooting stuff in the scenery has no effect. It's like we're back in 1994. By no means a deal-breaker, but I thought we'd be past these pesky little anachronisms in video gaming by now.

Do we want everything to be interactive, with lots of fun clutter to mess around with? Or a streamlined experience where only a small percentage of the game world can be interacted with? Can't really have it both ways...

-Jester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bolty - 08-25-2011, 05:17 PM
RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Jester - 09-26-2011, 10:25 PM
RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bolty - 09-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bun-Bun - 01-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bolty - 01-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Lissa - 01-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bolty - 01-15-2009, 01:49 PM