Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods...
(09-25-2011, 11:10 PM)Jester Wrote: In the end, you have to accept some measure of game logic, especially from the interface... otherwise, where does it end?
-Jester

But it doesn't have to. That's why I mentioned The Witcher 2. The tint/hew could have been a skill/augmentation, and I wouldn't have given it any thought. Just give us the gobbledygook to explain it, and I'm happy as a clam.

I guess my grievance is not primarily with the yellow tint, but with the state of linearity and feeding the gamer explicity every line or action to be carried out as if we were 10.

And I do realise that I'm a hypocrite; choosing to keep the tint when I could just as easily turn it off. Upon starting the game, that was the first thing I rummaged through the options menu looking to check off, but when I did I found myself spending an annoying amount of time and energy simply moving my cursor over a lot of background clutter looking for that arbitrary pile that was actually interactive.

It was so much easier in the original where the designers didn't fill our screen with lots of stuff lying around in every office and on every desk. In trying to create a more immersive game world by adding more newspapers, files, books, realistic office-supplies and other items strewn about the gameworld, they have created the need for a tool to sift through all the clutter in order to find the small percentage that is actually interactive, and thus through that tool, immersion is ironically degraded (IMO).

Again, this is not a dealbreaker for me when it comes to DE3, but it's emblematic of a gaming culture that has evolved into the simple and simplified, a trend that applies equally to plot, theme and characterisation as it does gameplay.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bolty - 08-25-2011, 05:17 PM
RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by [wcip]Angel - 09-26-2011, 08:20 PM
RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bolty - 09-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bun-Bun - 01-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bolty - 01-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Lissa - 01-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bolty - 01-15-2009, 01:49 PM