Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods...
I have been playin deus ex on normal difficulty aka "give me a challenge". There is bad news and good news. I'll start with the bad.

I am finding the combat, ai, and inventory management part of deus ex to suck.

Combat is: if you are detected you are dead. If you get the jump on the enemy, they die. It's almost playing man with the golden gun, except with a few more rounds and many more enemies.

The ai is very very stupid but far more accurate than you are. Absurdly so. Shooting from behind or around cover is also pointless as the accuracy penalty drains all your ammo before killing, if you're lucky, one enemy, and normally there are several others nearby.

As as a shooter and especially a cover based shooter, it fails. I haven't seen an interface this bad on a triple A title for PC in a looong time. None of the Controls and movements flow. They are clunky and you might as well not use cover. There is one exception. Mobile cover: you can grab metal barrels and it can act as a shield in the direction you are facing so you can back away. Better however, not to get caught or to simply expire your enemy before they reach their weapons.

The combat sucks: horribly.

The immersion factor also greatly varies. There are some great pivotal characters here for the important ones. The story nocs do some great acting and animation: they convey focused emotion and expression. The regular npcs however all seem to be on drugs with distracting headache inducing random hand gestures and head bobs that go all over the place with no sense of purpose. Ugggh. Worse than the witcher 1 with their hand sways.

Stealth in this game is full of options, and there is a mini radar that shows not only position and movement, but direction they are facing as well. Between that and the myriad of approaches you can take to outwith your , well remarkably stupid, enemy ai , stealth is easy but still thrilling because it is varied and failure is deadly.

Deus ex hr 's flaws break immersion for me regularly, and the story's plot and character twist elements are no mystery for this science fiction detective mystery veteran, but they can surprise newer and less familiar generations of players. Pete, if you are reading, I believe you'd see through this game within the first 2 minutes or less. It took me five, but I was busy rifling through the starting area's desks and shelves for personal items to read

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bolty - 08-25-2011, 05:17 PM
RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Drasca - 09-07-2011, 01:01 PM
RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bolty - 09-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bun-Bun - 01-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bolty - 01-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Lissa - 01-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bolty - 01-15-2009, 01:49 PM