Network Question
(01-29-2011, 07:52 PM)MEAT Wrote: however if someone tries to join the server from another network/internet, it simply won't work.
What do you mean "another network"? I can understand that a typical home user would be behind a device that disrupts easy Internet connectivity, but I am curious how a secondary non-Internet network fits into this.

Windows Firewall could still be the problem. Though it is usually used in a simple allow/disallow mode, it can do more complex things, such as "Allow connections from the local subnet and disallow all others", which would produce this result.

Since you already mentioned a Linksys device, I suspect the IP addresses shown by ipconfig will be private LAN-local addresses, useful for connectivity within your private network, but not useful for allowing users on the Internet to join you. The port checking program likely worked because you ran it from inside your network, which we already know works. It would be more useful to have someone outside your network run it. When you give out the address to a non-local user, does it start with 192.168., 172.16.-172.31., or 10.? If so, that is a private non-routed address that will not work. You must give remote joiners the public IP address that is assigned to your Linksys router.

There are a few ways this could be failing:
  • Linksys device fails to forward incoming connection from Internet to Minecraft server.
  • Linksys device attempts to forward connection to Minecraft server, but is pointed at the wrong internal machine.
  • Minecraft server is blocking non-local connections (via Windows Firewall, as described above)
  • Minecraft server is immediately killing incoming connections (application-specific failure mode, may not apply in all cases)

Messages In This Thread
Network Question - by Taem - 01-29-2011, 07:52 PM
RE: Network Question - by --Pete - 01-29-2011, 10:57 PM
RE: Network Question - by [vL]Kp - 01-29-2011, 11:35 PM
RE: Network Question - by Taem - 01-30-2011, 12:42 AM
RE: Network Question - by kandrathe - 01-31-2011, 04:32 PM