Apologies: Better late than never
(08-18-2010, 10:49 PM)Jester Wrote:
(08-18-2010, 10:12 PM)--Pete Wrote: Empty words. A cheap gesture. Much more impressive would be world leaders who really try to do what is best for all. That would indeed challenge my opinion of humanity.

Sure. But better the empty words and cheap gestures than nothing, forever. Doing the right thing in the future is of course much better, but the second law of thermodynamics prevents us from doing that for the past.

-Jester

I agree.

Coming from Austria I have a hard time understanding why I should apologise for what Hitler did decades before I was born. I understand however that our highest politicians apologising in Israel is a different thing altogether. The holocaust and other Nazi crimes have been swept under the rug for ages, out of denial, political agendas and lots of other, equally ridiculous and despicable reasons.

I welcomed the change in attitude, even if it was decades late. You have to start eventually as a matter of "national hygiene" or something like that. Of course, a considerable percentage of my countrymen would rather go on with their imaginary past but that's a different problem.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.

Messages In This Thread
Apologies: Better late than never - by ShadowHM - 08-18-2010, 08:35 PM
RE: Apologies: Better late than never - by Jester - 08-18-2010, 08:57 PM
RE: Apologies: Better late than never - by --Pete - 08-18-2010, 10:12 PM
RE: Apologies: Better late than never - by Jester - 08-18-2010, 10:49 PM
RE: Apologies: Better late than never - by NuurAbSaal - 08-18-2010, 11:06 PM
RE: Apologies: Better late than never - by --Pete - 08-19-2010, 01:26 AM
RE: Apologies: Better late than never - by --Pete - 08-19-2010, 02:03 AM