[split] Stormrage Lurker Guild Discussion - Formerly known as Cat Beta
Hykim the Diplomat, indeed.

(07-23-2010, 09:12 PM)Bun-Bun Wrote: There are a raft of game design decisions that make Diablo-style variants much more difficult in WoW, for reasons of gameplay and time availability. And there are still a some of us that try strange things. Smile

This is really the heart of the matter, in my opinion, and Bun as usual gets to the core of the situation.

World of Warcraft is a fundamentally different game than the Diablo series (thus far), and those differences are what drive our actions in the game, and by extension, this forum. It's been a long time since Diablo II has been released, and there have been some games out since that were similar in design, but didn't quite capture Diablo gameplay the way we were used to. Torchlight is most definitely the closest it gets, but it lacked the critical multiplayer component that was so essential to bring us all together in the first place.

When World of Warcraft was released over 5 years ago (holy crap), I agonized for a long time about the incorporation of guild structures on the Lurkers. Simply put, I recognized that those of us who had known each other for years wanted to play together, but part of me also realized that a guild relationship wasn't going to work completely in a Lurker environment. What happened over the next few years was indicative of that - those who preferred the guild arrangement with their fellow Lurkers stuck around, and those who didn't moved on. It's a shame that this presented such ill will in some cases, but for all the cases of hurt feelings, there were many others that were an amicable parting of ways. Diablo didn't have guilds; it didn't require a select group of people to get together at specific times to accomplish very hyper-specific goals. It was this big toy box that came with 1,000 buttons and you got to push whichever ones you wanted whenever you wanted to have a good time. WoW doesn't work that way. So you take this big bunch of players who are used to the Diablo system and dump them into WoW, and hey! Guess what? It didn't work for everyone.

That doesn't make WoW bad. It doesn't make the Lurkers bad. I had always assumed WoW was this temporary thing anyway; maybe 2 years, 3 tops, until Diablo III was out and we could all get together on that again and start up the whole biz - strategizing, griping about bugs, trying strange builds and combinations; the whole nine yards.

Watch Blizzard design Diablo III with raid bosses and screw it all up. Who knows. Smile Here we all are, about a decade since Diablo II, without anything other than WoW to really latch on to as a group since then. As a result, WoW has changed us, thusly changing the site, and changing our dynamic.

I guess I can sum this all up with "I can't wait for Diablo III." Or something as cool/interesting for us to sink our teeth into.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Stormrage Lurker Guild Discussion - Formerly known as Cat Beta - by Bolty - 07-23-2010, 10:35 PM