School spies on kids through student laptops
Quote:Hi,
I was taught to use a fountain pen in grade school in New York, say '53 to '57. When I moved to Wilkes-Barre in Spring of '57, we were allowed to use pencils and ball point pens. So I'm guessing you're talking about that far back.
Well, that means early '60s or early '80s. You were 14, so I suppose you were either in high school or close to starting. You also say that your high school banned calculators. That would have been redundant in the early '60s since, except for big machines and pepper grinders, there were no calculators. But by the early '80s I don't think much of anyone was still using slide rules -- by then $30 calculators were available. That's actually cheaper than the Post VersaLog slide rule of the same time.

So, when I put all that together, I make your age greater than twenty and less than eighty. I'm confused. <_<

--Pete
Correct. Though I did not intend to be so cryptic. The one year I was in public school, which happened to be Lower Merion school district, was fourth grade: '57-'58 (1957-1958). I don't believe our pens were fountain pens, that's a whole 'nother level of technology. Hence the inkwells. However I do have a lovely blue Pelikan fountain pen I purchased in Stutgart in 2005.

School did not ban calculators, the chemistry teacher did. That was eleventh grade, 1964-1965. Calculators did exist, though we're not talking hand held here. I never had a calculator till grad school. I used an electro-mechanical calculator for biology, till I discovered its implementation of multiplication was not commutative. Specifically 9x7 did not equal 7x9. I prefered my abacus, myself.

I also never intended to get so far off topic.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."

Messages In This Thread
School spies on kids through student laptops - by LavCat - 02-24-2010, 05:33 PM