Computer Upgrades - Looking for bang for the buck
Quote:Powersupply will handle it. CPU will be in good shape, video card will be good enough for decent settings.

In 25 man raids, my machine with a ATi 4850 + equivalent of a Core2 e8600 struggles in some encounters unless I pause recount, so I won't guarantee awesome performance in 25 mans. I don't do enough 25 mans to really be able to experiment with what the issue is, it could be there is a setting or two I could put different that would help, I don't really know. Performance everywhere else should be pretty good at any settings (except dynamic shadows, leave those off, I don't like them anyway, but they really suck the performance).

i7 really doesn't offer enough of an advantage over i5 to be worthwhile, unless you absolutely need a quad (since there aren't any quad i5's). So I think you've made a good choice.

What a long strange road this has been. Thanks to the generosity of my brother's employer and cash for christmas from relatives I've been able to push through the following upgrades:

Motherboard
Processor
Memory will be 6 gigs of G.Skill 240-Pin DDR3 1333
Running Windows 7

And the Videocard I link above. Do you think I'll be able to turn up a lot of the settings on the videocard? I hate having to turn everything to low to play in Raids. Would grabbing a second of the card above in SLI help?

Messages In This Thread
Computer Upgrades - Looking for bang for the buck - by Tal - 01-06-2010, 02:40 PM