Alice
Hi,

Finished watching the two part show, Alice, on the SyFy channel last night. Being a mild admirer of all things Dodgson, I really could not pass it up. Overall, pretty entertaining, though I thought that the first part was the better of the two.

While many elements of Through the Looking Glass were used in this production, the story was totally different. Indeed, the very fact that there was a story (or, rather, a plot) completely changed the character from nonsense to fantasy. Enjoyable, but definitely different.

I may have missed some things, especially in part two, but while I saw many surface level references to the original, I did not see anything in this show that touched upon the underlying levels of the original. It was almost as if someone took a collection of memes from the original and pasted them into a fantasy adventure. I feel that someone could have done a better job of capturing the Carrollian spirit, but I'm at a lack to say just how.

Anyone who watched this show, chime in -- maybe together we can understand it. Anyone who hasn't, I'd recommend it over much of what passes for entertainment. Well worth the four hours.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Messages In This Thread
Alice - by --Pete - 12-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Alice - by Rhydderch Hael - 12-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Alice - by --Pete - 12-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Alice - by Vandiablo - 12-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Alice - by --Pete - 12-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Alice - by --Pete - 12-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Alice - by Vandiablo - 12-12-2009, 02:40 AM