Computer Upgrades - Looking for bang for the buck
Quote:Okay I've given up my hopes of getting a i7 in the meantime. I'm now looking at this combo:

Intel Core i5-750
ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55
G.SKILL Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000

The video card I was given was the GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

Now the question I have is - with these upgrades will I be able to turn up the settings in wow in both the world and in raid? Will my Powersupply be sufficient for what its being asked to run?

Powersupply will handle it. CPU will be in good shape, video card will be good enough for decent settings.

In 25 man raids, my machine with a ATi 4850 + equivalent of a Core2 e8600 struggles in some encounters unless I pause recount, so I won't guarantee awesome performance in 25 mans. I don't do enough 25 mans to really be able to experiment with what the issue is, it could be there is a setting or two I could put different that would help, I don't really know. Performance everywhere else should be pretty good at any settings (except dynamic shadows, leave those off, I don't like them anyway, but they really suck the performance).

i7 really doesn't offer enough of an advantage over i5 to be worthwhile, unless you absolutely need a quad (since there aren't any quad i5's). So I think you've made a good choice.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.

Messages In This Thread
Computer Upgrades - Looking for bang for the buck - by Concillian - 10-08-2009, 10:58 PM