A question about a Rogue
I just watched, finally, the first Xmen movie on DvD. I rather liked it, though I have not read an Xmen comic since about 1977 or so. Whoever directed this film seemed more concerned with character than some of the other comic book adaptations. The mood was just right, even though the dialogue was a bit sparse. I would like to see X Men 2 before it leaves theatres here, but I want to understand a thing or two first.

Not being an Xmen afficianado, I am a bit puzzled by:

Mystique and Rogue.

Mystique: Alright, she is a doppleganger, how is it that when Wolverine buries his claws into her innards, she does not die? Did she take on his rapid healing powers thanks to their fight while she was in his form? She was in Storm's form when he laid the blades into her later on. What is it about Mystique that made her mortal wound heal, and let her turn into the security guard? (And why did Wolverine not rip off her head to ensure she was dead? Oh, yeah, PG-13 and follow on plot reasons.) Does she, like a D & D druid, heal somewhat with each transformation? Confused.

Rogue:

There seem to be two things working at once here, and I am guessing that Rogue is a vampire. Firstly, she 'takes on the other's power' and secondly 'she sucks the life out of whoever touches her.' (Hmmm, how did her parents survive? Were they made of sterner mutant stuff, or was it that "it happens during puberty" concept that allowed her parents to live? Yeah, that's it, teenagers do turn into mutants during puberty, sure!)

Wolverine's rapid healing allows him to touch her and not go into a three week coma, per her puppy love boyfriend's fate. (Those two getting into the horizontal bop is ripe with some rather twisted S & M possibilities, methinks.) However, the movie leaves me a bit confused as to just what element of the power of the other mutant that she takes on. With magneto, she absorbs his . . . essence . . . and thus works as the engine for his "mutate the masses" machine. But shouldn't she have then been able to simply stop the blades from turning, having his magneto power in her for a time? Should she not have been able to touch Mystique and become a shape changer?

Does Xmen2 answer this, or is her feature well explained in the comic books? Explanation appreciated from any of you Xmen fanatics there.

I am looking forward to Xmen 2. I hope it has less kung fu and more character development.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
A question about a Rogue - by Occhidiangela - 07-01-2003, 03:17 PM
A question about a Rogue - by Zarathustra - 07-01-2003, 03:38 PM
A question about a Rogue - by pakman - 07-01-2003, 03:44 PM
A question about a Rogue - by Occhidiangela - 07-01-2003, 03:57 PM
A question about a Rogue - by wundergore - 07-01-2003, 04:17 PM
A question about a Rogue - by Occhidiangela - 07-01-2003, 04:38 PM
A question about a Rogue - by Mirajj - 07-01-2003, 06:37 PM