Two Florida school officials won't go to jail for praying
Quote:N.J. School Portrays Christians as Terrorists
For those of us who treasure our logical operators, there is a very large distinction between "N.J. School Portrays All Christians as Terrorists" and "N.J. School Portrays Terrorists who are Christians."

Rather an important distinction, no? Is it particularly implausible that an act of terrorism would be carried out by Christian fundamentalists? I wouldn't think so. It seems like the whole scenario was cooked up by the police, who were running a test of their emergency system.

This is all rather trivial, though. The state is present in every public school. How widespread is this? Schools are a diverse lot (hello, Wiccan), and there are lots of them. Just because a handful of them do any given thing doesn't mean there's an endemic problem. I don't believe Pace High School represents the general state of public education - do you believe that Burlington does? These are outliers.

I recall there was some nutsoid teacher up in Alberta who was teaching his kids anti-semitic garbage - but that doesn't mean Alberta schools are generally imposing anti-semitism, only that there was a teacher who was off his rocker.

Also, as Pete quite rightly pointed out, while it might not be ethical to promote a given political philosophy in schools, it's not unconstitutional - whereas promoting religion is.

-Jester

Messages In This Thread
Two Florida school officials won't go to jail for praying - by Jester - 09-27-2009, 06:00 PM