Two Florida school officials won't go to jail for praying
Quote:OK let's get back to the initial problem then. Those guys at that school were they theologians (theologists sounds better to me) or Pat Robertson types? They were not seekers of truth, they were people that used their authority to start something that they thought was right, not thinking about feelings of other people......more Pat Robertson-like if you ask me.

I have no problems with theologians (apart from that in my opinion they are doing useless things) and would never try to stop them from what they are doing.
That is a better question. Are they proselytizing, or merely practicing what they believe? They aren't passing the hat for contributions as Pat does. I wouldn't deny a Muslim a prayer rug, and time during the allotted prayer times. We make public allowances for custom and tradition in meal preparation for various faiths all the time. Would there be an uproar if the principal asked a school official to bless a school meal in the name of Allah, or the Hindu goddess Annapurnu, or the Wiccan goddess of Demeter? Not in the same way. It probably would have caused an uproar at the next PTA meeting, but I bet the Christians would have been upset. The ACLU might have reacted equally, but the jury is out on that one.<blockquote>"The Pensacola News Journal reported late Thursday that after a full day of testimony, Judge M. Case Rodgers said the prayer at a field house dedication during the school day that was held on church property* was spontaneous, and there was seemingly no intent to violate the order."</blockquote> * bolded by me.

So, this was a school event, held at a church with voluntary attendance.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Two Florida school officials won't go to jail for praying - by kandrathe - 09-24-2009, 10:59 PM