Two Florida school officials won't go to jail for praying
Quote:I remember on many of the debates we've had about kids on here, that the common advice was to not shield them from the world, but to teach them how to cope with the world. That was in relation to sex education as I recall. How is this not shielding the kids from something that is pretty mainstream in the culture? Now you are going to say their little impressionable minds will be confused?
Robert Mapplethorpe and the Sex Pistols don't work for the government. Nobody is telling the pious folk of Pace, Florida, that they can't have their god, or even that they can't completely dominate the local culture (which, one gets the impression, they do.)

All the ACLU is saying, and I think all that Pete is saying, is that they can't constitutionally promote their religion while under the aegis of a public school.

Quote:But, last time I checked, Pace, Florida is not a state, and Florida is not imposing these rules on Pace. How is this a constitutional problem? What I mean by the tactic failing is that now in Pace, which seems to wholeheartedly embrace the situation, you set the community against the justice system. The result will be martyrdom for the ones who oppose the rule of law, and heroes behind which a movement will grow.
I don't understand what you mean by Pace not being a state. They're not *a* state. But their public schools are an extension of *the* state - and are therefore bound by constitutional rules. If this was a private school, nobody would care - this would be as normal and as legal as a stroll down the street. But this is not a private school.

The rule of law is far more than crude majoritarianism. If there are to be rights, then they are *rights*, not suggestions. Martyrs be damned, the individual is protected. Surely this is an argument that a libertarian couldn't help but agree with?

-Jester

Messages In This Thread
Two Florida school officials won't go to jail for praying - by Jester - 09-22-2009, 12:31 PM