Two Florida school officials won't go to jail for praying
Quote:I think that should read ". . . not to publicly invoke religion . . ." I believe you agree, from what you said earlier in the post. I mention this because many I've discussed this with have claimed that forbidding prayer in public schools is a violation of the first amendment. My reply is that private prayer is *always* permissible, but if the prayer has to be said aloud it is no longer private.
How is praying publicly establishing a State religion? When the action is done spontaneously by individuals, for me, that is personal freedom. When it is mandated or encoded in some rules or laws, then it is establishment. For example, the US Congress opens with a Christian prayer, which is exactly what violates the First Amendment. But, if students, or teachers, or employees on their own express their personal beliefs, then it is part and parcel of exposing your children to "society". Whether that "expression" be Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, Atheist, Wikkan, or Satanic. What is wrong with the tactic the ACLU is imposing is that the only remedy is to restrict expression, and eventually the only place you are allowed to express your beliefs (for fear of offending someone else) would be in the privacy of your own home, or place of worship. That is not how I envision religious liberty.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Two Florida school officials won't go to jail for praying - by kandrathe - 09-21-2009, 11:06 PM