Something has gotten me angry
Quote:An interesting thing happened Sunday afternoon. Someone slipped a piece of paper under my apartment door. This paper was a notice, stating that due to the economic climate, the community would stop providing the amenity of free trash collection, and charge $5 per apartment for dumpster service, to paid as an addition to the rent. Lucky for me, it coincides closely with the start of a 12 month lease renewal I had just signed 2 months ago (with no mention of any such changes in policy, written or verbal), so I will be paying in total $60 more than I negotiated for.
Maybe ranting about it on random internet forums will help.

I have been renting several appartments in several countries the last few years and have also rented out my own appartment during that time.

The thing here is that the community decides to ask for more money. In many countries, these tyoe of taxes are paid by the tennant, not the landlord. If so it would be easier for the landlord (because he deosn't have to ask you for more money, the community will).
On the other hand, it depends what is written in your contract, (I know you are not waiting for legal comments but it is what counts) if he is allowed to raise rent if community charges go up, it seems fair. If he isn't I guess you can try and do something about it.
Further are there tennancy rules in the US? I know that in Holland eg. on long term contracts rent can be increased once a year, and then only by a certain amount max (a few % I believe). In other words if you have a permanent renting agreement (no fixed end date) the rent will likely increase a bit every year.

Messages In This Thread
Something has gotten me angry - by Nystul - 07-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Something has gotten me angry - by kandrathe - 07-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Something has gotten me angry - by LennyLen - 07-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Something has gotten me angry - by Occhidiangela - 07-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Something has gotten me angry - by eppie - 07-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Something has gotten me angry - by Kevin - 07-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Something has gotten me angry - by Nystul - 07-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Something has gotten me angry - by Nystul - 07-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Something has gotten me angry - by Concillian - 07-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Something has gotten me angry - by kandrathe - 07-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Something has gotten me angry - by weakwarrior - 07-27-2009, 05:46 AM