The mysterious case of Ms. Carrie Prejean
Quote:You're claiming victim status not only for Carrie Prejean, but yourself for your traumatic time at the University of Minnesota, as a member of the "white, male, heterosexual, Christian"* minority that has been so horribly oppressed in days of late?

I'd have hoped your skin might be a little thicker than that...

-Jester

*if any of these things is inaccurate, just say so, but I think you've confirmed them all at one point or another.
Hmmm, victim? No. I was a consumer of the wrong product. I blame myself for not being a more selective shopper. In my senior year, when I had 196 credits (far more than I needed to graduate), I realized that in order to get the handful of remaining coursework I needed I would need to spend 2 more years there. So, as a savvy consumer, I transfered to a different school where I could finish in just one more year. So oddly enough I ended up as a CSci major, with enough credits for minors in philosophy, psychology, Spanish language, and studio arts. My real education was dealing with being judged by the radical bigots who hated me based on my demography. I had to laugh when I saw the news article recently where Chavez gave Obama the book, "Open Veins of Latin America", because it was required reading in 1984 for my Latin American literature class. I actually think some of my friends from that time are active in ALF and ELF, and it was the first time I became acquainted (through my more radical leftist friends purchases) with the wares of Paladin Press.

Edit: Oh, yes. White, check. European descent, check (you forgot that one). Male, check. Heterosexual, check. Christian, sort of. I would say I'm Christian(+). I often associate with Christians, but they would probably not understand the (+) aspect of my belief system. I'm pretty selective in my Christianity, and reference the philosophical aspects (e.g. do I agree with the teaching of Jesus) rather than the dogma. I also associate with Buddhists, and they are pretty understanding of most everything. I'm also a big fan of the Dalai Lama, but I wouldn't share that openly with my Christian friends. However, I understand your meaning. I believe that bigotry and discrimination are local problems that amass into national, or global problems. Jews are not usually discriminated against in Haifa, but probably wouldn't feel to comfortable in parts of Detroit or London. I was merely stating that the U of M environment is one that at the time I was there felt pretty hostile to the stereotypical white, hetero, male of European ancestry unless that male was willing to be self loathing. Luckily I wasn't a member of the the CCC (Campus Crusade for Christ) and the College Republicans, or I probably would have been assaulted on a daily basis. I do remember being frequently tagged as an FBI plant trying to infiltrate their leftist plots.

Carrie probably has issues with her contract with Miss Universe Inc. (something she chose to do), but she was the victim of libel by (even by US standards) certain mainstream media outlets (i.e. Perez Hilton, Keith Olbermann). Her medical procedure (breast implant) was private information that should not have been released by her employer, so yes, she was victimized by her employer in that case. Her modeling photographs, were under contract for a specific use, and so the people who sold her photo's were violating their contracts with her. Beyond the trite lack of impartial judging, the aftermath has resulted in libel, violations of HIPPA, and multiple breach of contract suits.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
The mysterious case of Ms. Carrie Prejean - by kandrathe - 05-15-2009, 03:17 PM