Stewart Vs Cramer on Daily Show, march 12.
Quote:I'm wondering if we saw the same episode. I'm wondering if we're even seeing the same show here. You did watch the episode right?
Yes, and I went back and watched the context of all the little clips as well.
Quote:The whole tiff didnt start with Cramer, it was originally with Rick Santelli's ahem, loud musings. For some reason, Cramer thought it was all about him. At one point of the episode, Stewart even said this isn't really about Cramer's sideshow antics, or his stock picks at CNBC.
Rick is one entertaining opinionated guy.
Quote:And 'walking away richer and good friends?' Do you have any evidence of that? I'm just curious here.
The evidence is clear to see in "The Daily Show's" ratings. "The episode received a large amount of media hype and became Comedy Central's second most-viewed episode of The Daily Show trailing only the 2009 Inauguration Day episode. It had 2.3 million total viewers and the next day The Daily Show website saw its highest day of traffic up to that point in the year." -- Wikipedia. CNBC's "Mad Money" is as close to comedy as a financial news network is going to get, and one of their highest rated shows. During the squabble there is evidence that the college crowd tuned in to CNBC more just to see the hullabaloo. This mock feud has been good for both networks, according to numbers I saw at http://tvbythenumbers.com
Quote:I know Stewart is most likely doing way better financially than me. But I really have a hard time believing off camera, Stewart and someone like say... Tucker Carlson are lighting each other's cigar with 100$ bills and back-slapping each other.
In that case, I think Tucker holds a grudge. But, Jon was right, and the show was soon canceled because it was everything that Jon said it was. Jon Stewart has many "unlikely" friends.
Quote:There's one important difference here IMO. Stewart and Colbert never hides the fact that they play fake journalist and hyper-pundit (in the case of Colbert). The biggest joke of all being with that admission alone, they seem to have more honesty than most of the current media puppets and stooges.
Well, true. But, in the spirit of Roy Rogers or Samuel Clemens, it is political satire which still has an underlaying theme and message.
Quote:It didn't create a masterpiece like say, Demolition Man.
I would never make that claim, however, it is on my "guilty pleasures" list because of the performances other than Stallone's. It was formulaic, and the lead role required a macho "one liner" spewing muscle headed muscle bound hero.
Quote: Mad Men, The Wire, South Park, The Simpsons Halloween and Christmas Specials, Battlestar Galactica
I haven't seen these. I'm tired of sifting through 100's of channels filled with crap to find a few pearls only to be victim to the whims of the producers scheduling and advertisers product placements. So now, if I hear about some good, I rent the DVD's or get it streamed on demand.

Edit: It was interesting to note on tvbythenumbers.com that "WWE Raw" was week by week one of the highest watched shows. What is better than raw muscle, sex and violence all wrapped up in one format? So, when I compare the fake drama of "Stewart vs Cramer" to the WWE, you can see what we are dealing with. Maybe I'm too much of a cynic, but TV (to me) is all about the psychology of how to strap you to a chair to distract you while implanting suggestions on where you should spend your money.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Stewart Vs Cramer on Daily Show, march 12. - by kandrathe - 03-18-2009, 02:45 PM