A Stunning Senior Moment
Quote:The technological progress is always an advancement. The use to which it is put is not. But the use is not technology -- more often then not, it is politics or business.

--Pete

I sometimes wonder a bit about advances in art and "culture". The commercialization of a lot of human creativity, while not new; Shakespeare wrote plays to make money and not as high art, does sometimes seem to drag some stuff down. You can look at classical orchestral music and see the same thing, there was commercialization of art for a long time. Heck I believe that evidence points to the Romans doing mass produced decorative 'art' on buildings too.

I guess I'd just like to think that a measure of humanities progress can be made by looking at artistic expression at that there will be something from my generation that will stand the test of time.

I just see the canned formulaic stuff that comes out of Hollywood at times and wonder. Of course then I can look at modern authors such as say Tad Williams and realize that there are still some great minds doing some great thinking and producing on that front as well. There are also movies and music that come out that really do speak volumes as well. The signal to noise ratio just gets me wondering about what will survive.

The ability to self publish and self create certain types of art now means that you get more crap. I realize it also means that some of the wonderful things that might have never had a chance to be created in the past happen now too but there is just so much muck around them. Some of it stems from the sheer mass of humanity now too.

Oh well, I'm not really producing any great new insights with this post or thread either. :)

Sometimes I just like to think aloud. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.

Messages In This Thread
A Stunning Senior Moment - by Kevin - 03-13-2009, 03:24 PM
A Stunning Senior Moment - by Jester - 03-13-2009, 04:14 PM
A Stunning Senior Moment - by --Pete - 03-13-2009, 07:19 PM
A Stunning Senior Moment - by Kevin - 03-13-2009, 09:09 PM
A Stunning Senior Moment - by Taem - 03-13-2009, 11:41 PM
A Stunning Senior Moment - by Kevin - 03-13-2009, 11:49 PM
A Stunning Senior Moment - by kandrathe - 03-14-2009, 06:33 PM