Older video cards
So my computer has been old for awhile. It's old enough that friends cast off parts are now upgrades for me.

I currently have a 6600 GT video card (the newest thing in my system actually).

I've been gifted a new mobo, processor (Opteron 170), 2 GB of memory, HDD, and I've actually gotten 2 video cards.

An ATI x800 XL and an Nvidia 7600GT

Both are better than the 660GT I know i'll do better with either.

I've looked at the VGA charts on Tom's I've poked at some reviews on Anand. I've still got several of the other review sites that I used to use a lot linked at home but haven't looked closely at them.

It appears to me they are pretty much the same card one ATI, one NVidia. But I'm looking for a few more opinions. I haven't had an ATI card in forever. I still have nightmares about how bad the drivers were to deal with (it's been that long, 8+ years). I've not really followed computer hardware closely since the Ti4800 was the big dog video card to give another frame of reference. :)

I mostly play WoW, I'll likely play through Oblivion now that I've got the beefier hardware and I play other older games. I'll fire up Starwars Battlefront II from time to time. I'm finally playing through Freelancer. I might get the orange box at here at some point to mess with that.

I will be using the T.V. out function for piping movies from the computer to the T.V. since I don't have a set top DVD player.

There is a good chance this card will be running under Ubantu but it might be an XP SP3 install as well.

Given that I don't think it matters which I use, but what would you do given those options?

There will not be any money spent. There is no 3rd option. It is one of those to cards and I think I'm probably looking at a coin flip at this point.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.

Messages In This Thread
Older video cards - by Kevin - 02-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Older video cards - by roguebanshee - 02-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Older video cards - by DeeBye - 02-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Older video cards - by Klaus - 02-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Older video cards - by Kevin - 02-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Older video cards - by Concillian - 02-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Older video cards - by vor_lord - 02-14-2009, 01:24 AM
Older video cards - by [vL]Kp - 02-14-2009, 05:34 PM