A Magnum of Bollocks
Heiho,
Quote:The latest Bond film, a Quantum of Solace, has breached the defenses. While I am away from the keyboard, I'd like to hear what any of you had to say.

I haven't and won't give it a chance.
Have seen various trailers, and those managed to kill the tiniest bit of interest which may have remained from my Bond-ish memories.

Basically I see two kinds of people: those who liked the older Bond movies and those who didn't. The latter won't care about another one, and the former will miss
- slightly silly gadgets
- the blatant puns (even those which you thought of as stupid when you became older than 12 years)*
- the visionary Evil Villains of Blofeldish/Noish/whatever kind, or at least the Big Evil Organisation like Specter
- along with their retarded henchmen
- and impressive world domination machinery
- most important, the Style, because everything Bond stands for is Style
- also most imortant, all the taking-nothing-and-for-sure-not-myself-too-serious-approach

What you get is another revenge action flick, with lots of stunts, explosions and chases. Well, but those are sold by the dozen. Sure thing, most of them wouldn't penetrate the audience with permanent advertising via not-at-all-hidden product placement, this at least seems to be handed over from the older Bond movies.
Bond Style movies are more something like True Lies, or, yes, Get Smart (the recent movie, though the old TV series was also great).

I have seen Moonraker recently, for I dunno the count. Compare this. Yep, plot holes gaping in continental measurements, characters beyond any sense, gadgetry at its silliest, but Style and Wit all over.

* Knowing how trailers are made I'm sure if there would be a single punch line in all of the movie it would have made it into most of the trailers. Even 300, which had about three punchlines in all of the movie (I remember two, but maybe there was a third), managed to show them in the trailers, and that was a warmonger flick against Persia with no wit at all.
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB

Messages In This Thread
A Magnum of Bollocks - by Occhidiangela - 11-16-2008, 02:41 PM
A Magnum of Bollocks - by NiteFox - 11-16-2008, 11:20 PM
A Magnum of Bollocks - by Occhidiangela - 11-17-2008, 01:03 AM
A Magnum of Bollocks - by kandrathe - 11-17-2008, 08:18 PM
A Magnum of Bollocks - by --Pete - 11-17-2008, 09:43 PM
A Magnum of Bollocks - by Jester - 11-17-2008, 11:12 PM