Fun with Ike
Wednesday I boarded up the house. Mrs Occhi went into chicken little mode, and evacuated to Austin Wednesday, with the kids, despite my pointing out to her that the odds of the storm changing direction to due West and Baffin Bay as a landfall was remote, due to my diligent scanning of various NOAA and other weather web sites. She wanted to be ahead of any bums rush out of Corpus Christi. I spent the rest of Wednesday with in laws and neighbors helping them board up their houses, but all were happy to stay and ride it out. My brother in law the cop, and his wife the nurse, both have to be here anyway.

Thursday, as the track developed, Mrs Occhi called me from Austin. "Power will likely be out, or so they expect, so what should I do? Go to San Antonio?" My reply: come home, south of landfall is a hell of a lot safer than tornado alley, which large hurricanes tend to generate after landfall. So, last night she and the kids returned home. I had already put in store lots of canned food and water, a month ago, but she had to get more. So, we did, in the event that power outages impact the Texas grid as far south as we are. It's still possible we lose power for a few days here in the sparkling city by the bay, though it's a low ball bet. Then again, one can miss a saving throw at any time, eh?

My friends out at the air station flew most of the planes out of town Tuesday and Wednesday. The people who live on Padre Island, and Mustand Island, two barrier islands between Corpus Christi and the Gulf, boarded up the houses, got their boats well inland, and headed for higher ground.

Latest forecast is Tropical Storm strength winds, a bit rougher than Dolly gave us, for Friday night and Saturday, and plenty of rain. Old news in Corpus Christi.

My cousin and friends in Houston are bracing themselves for a full face shot. Cousin Dave is staying put, as his Rita evac put him on the road, in traffic, when the storm hit, and he finds that risk calculus ridiculous. He's over fifty miles from the coast, so his only concern is wind and rain damage that me can repair once the storm blows through, and if things get too rough in the aftermath, he'll head to Oklahoma to his parent's house. His wife told me that as of yesterday afternoon, in the gas stations near their house, not a drop of gasoline was to be found.

David thinks the damage to the rigs in the Gulf won't be that bad, not like Katrina and Rita, based on his readings from various buoys in the gulf that he monitors. (He works for BP.) So, price of gas may spike for a week or so, but unless the vast bulk of petro workers are unable for return to some sort of home, a week or so later most wells/rigs will be back in business. He's been through quite a few storms in the Gulf in the past twenty years, so I think he's got a good feel for how that will play out.

My sister in law in a SE Houston suburb isn't evacuating. That has us worried, as she's not that far from the coast. (Lives near Alvin Texas) If that solid surge hits, and if the winds stay at Cat II or III on landfall, she and her husband, and our nieces/nephews, will be in for some rough going. Her husband has a couple of generators and some gas stored up, so they will probably be OK for a couple of weeks if they don't get smashed by the storm. (He's a Southwest pilot.)

Mrs Occhi noticed on the drive home from Austin a lot of National Guard convoys on I-37 heading north. I told her that was part of Governor "Hair" Perry's mobilization order for about 7500 guardsmen to be in position to move in to assist storm hit areas once the storm blows through.

I intend to attend another hurricane party/blow out at a friend's bar tonight.

Glad it isn't us getting slammed, my thoughts, prayers, and hopes for good fortune are sent forth to all our friends between Port Lavaca and Sabine Pass. Looks like Ike is gonna hit them hard.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Fun with Ike - by Occhidiangela - 09-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Fun with Ike - by --Pete - 09-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Fun with Ike - by Occhidiangela - 09-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Fun with Ike - by kandrathe - 09-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Fun with Ike - by ShadowHM - 09-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Fun with Ike - by Occhidiangela - 09-13-2008, 01:30 AM
Fun with Ike - by Alram - 09-13-2008, 03:04 AM