Mouse Move Noob
I'm not good at this skill. I'm quite good with mouse movement in FPS where the game is designed for it and the mouse generally has very little else you need to do with it. But in WoW having to hold a button down SUCKS. I'm aware you can bind a key to have the mouse only act for turning but then you have to hit that key all the time to get normal control back. I actually have a much easier time with mouse turning with a trackball than with a mouse. Holding a button down for turning causes more stress on my wrist as well and that isn't good. I lose a ton of precision when I have to hold a button down with the extra pressure on the mouse, my Y view angle ends up getting changed a lot with mouse turning as well. The track ball is easier because the button I need to hold down is a tumb button and pressing a button doesn't have any other effect on the behavior of the turn. I've tried mapping my thumb button on my mouse as the right mouse button and it makes it a little easier but with the size of my hand and the size of most mice (I'm a guy who really like the original X-box controllers because I have bigger hands) it's still not good and it raises other issues for me.

I still do about 80% of my steering via keys. In most PvE content for most classes you simple don't have to turn as fast as the mouse allows you. I can jump shot very poorly but again I don't need to since I can strafe kite like a madman. :)

I've played over a full week (20+ hours of game time) forcing myself to only mouse turn (unmapped the normal turn keys so I didnt' have an option) and I still can't get used to it. It just doesn't work for me. As mentioned the turns are never precise so half the time they end up not being any quicker anyway. But I've gotten good enough that I can be precise enough and PvP still gets me doing a fair bit of mouse turning because you have to be competitive about 1650 rating. But I still get annoyed with it and I still almost always change my Y view axis doing so.

I still do extensive key remapping for hot key purposes, using just the default Blizzard bars so that patches never really cut my effectiveness at the game much. I've recently finally remapped again to swap to esdf for movement. I still have w and r as strafe keys but I'm fine since that is a more natural hand postion. I can't move with my hand in a normal typing postion if I stay with wasd since I don't like using the ring finger for movement. But it makes 1-6 easy to hit (with wasd it was just 1-5 and they weren't natural to hit). I've got z-b easy to hit, and q, t, and g easy to hit, y and h aren't bad, but those are right hand for typing so it's not natural. That's 15 keys right there with 2 very easy to hit modifiers of shift and control (alt is not a good one for me as it requires a hand shift or for me to move my thumb and with my thumb on it I lose reach to other keys). So I've got 45 easy to hit hotkeys. Some are harder to hit than others while moving so I map appropriately.

Just figure I would give the one voice of dissension. Trust me I wish I could get WoW to work better with mouse turning but it feels very tacked on and unnatural for me. But most PvE content doesn't need it anyway. You can turn while you are strafing and quick strafing gets you "out of the fire" just as fast if not faster than mouse turn and run. The big issues for it for me are melee classes that want to stay on backs quicker. It makes a difference there for sure. It helps a lot while tanking as well and I do mouse turn at times while tanking. For ranged I don't see it making much difference at all, though I did use it on Vashj on my hunter when on bat duty because if you want an extra shot on them with the facing requirements hunter shots have you need to get turned quicker than the keyboard lets you.

Just me. It's not a system I can get used to. And as mentioned I've tried for several times to only use it but I don't like it.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.

Messages In This Thread
Mouse Move Noob - by LavCat - 09-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Mouse Move Noob - by Klaus - 09-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Mouse Move Noob - by Mordekhuul - 09-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Mouse Move Noob - by Kevin - 09-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Mouse Move Noob - by Mordekhuul - 09-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Mouse Move Noob - by Shamago - 09-12-2008, 06:01 AM
Mouse Move Noob - by Klaus - 09-12-2008, 06:11 AM
Mouse Move Noob - by Quark - 09-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Mouse Move Noob - by Artega - 09-13-2008, 12:32 AM
Mouse Move Noob - by Mirajj - 09-13-2008, 02:19 AM
Mouse Move Noob - by Artega - 09-13-2008, 06:41 PM