"Cliches, you can't live with 'em..."
Jester's Picks (after too many RPGs to count)

33: Heads I win, Tails you Lose

Jester sez: Any task you perform prior to the last third of the game will be rendered irrelevant.

54: Zeigfreid's Contradiction

Jester sez: How much damn time did YOU waste trying to figure out what he did? (Colosseum? Apparently nothing!)

56: But They Don't Take American Express

Jester sez: Even games that usually make sense follow this insane little rule. Even ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONS accept your money, despite it being mysteriously dated thousands of years in the future.

117: Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely

Jester sez: This one should be amended to "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely". Note this also works in reverse (see: Golbez, Magus), explaining (among others) rule 128.

121: Last Law of Politics

Jester sez: Lucid. The most perfect of all the rules.

127: Ominous Ring of Land

Jester sez: Ever played Actraiser? Yeah, this one has been around forever.

170: Poetic Villain Principle

Jester sez: The agony, the agony! The years of crap, trying so hard to mean something, but failing so miserably! I blame this rule for an entire generation incapable of all but the most ridiculous philosophy.

172 and 173: Adam Smith's Revenge and Adam Smith's Corollary

Jester sez: These apply even if the governments theoretically backing the currencies in question have ceased to exist. Hell, it even applies if the SPECIES IN QUESTION has ceased to exist!

177: In Your Face, Jesus!

Jester sez: I'm hard pressed to think of an exception. I'm not sure one even exists.

For an RPG that manages to break 95%+ of these cliches, play Wizardry 7 (Crusaders of the Dark Savant).

For a game which puts it all into perspective, try Progress Quest.

Jester

Messages In This Thread
"Cliches, you can't live with 'em..." - by Mirajj - 06-18-2003, 12:08 AM
"Cliches, you can't live with 'em..." - by Jester - 06-18-2003, 02:28 AM
"Cliches, you can't live with 'em..." - by Kryn - 06-18-2003, 06:35 AM
"Cliches, you can't live with 'em..." - by pakman - 06-18-2003, 01:03 PM