Questions about my home network
Hi again,

Having got good help and answers on some previous questions here on LL, I thought I should give it a try again with some new "problems" I have.

1. Security paranoia?

I have a home network with a router to which I have connected computers (both wire and wireless) a printer and recently a hard disc (connected with Ethernet cable to the router). The hard disc is supposed to function both as a common storage area for pictures, music and such but also to facilitate transfer between computers (don't have to both be turned on at the same time, no need for sharing folders on them and so on).

Now, obviously anyone that manages to connect to the network will be able to get access to the hard disc. My network is set up in a good way security wise I would say. Encryption, WPA, is used, the password/key is a long string of numbers, characters and such of all sorts and so on. Now, the hard disc can ALSO have accounts with passwords set on itself for access. Is it over paranoia doing that? The thought is that sure, someone might get into the network, no big problem, at most they can use internet from it, but with the hard disc they will basically also get access to private files, so I added password to it. Should I really bother?

Related, can one access such a network from the internet? One can of course get access through physical Ethernet ports on the router and wireless (within a radius of the house) but can one through the internet connect to a router and get into the network?

2. How to handle passwords on network folders?
Now, if I use a password on the hard disc, I have to type it in when I want to access the hard disc. It will then be accessible until I turn off that particular computer and next time I start the computer I have to type it in again. Is there some way in Windows (we use XP on all computers currently) to have the password set automatically so that one don't have to type it in every time? If not, one will end up with quite simple passwords or it gets to annoying. For the wireless connection to the router one can for example type it in once and for all and have Windows use it automatically.

3. Windows folders forgetting its settings
Totally unrelated. I have set up Windows to remember the settings for appearance of each folder separately, however, it seems Windows will often forget these and change them. For most folders I like to have the "detailed list" set but suddenly a folder can have it changed to instead show the content as icons.

For some folders, the control panel and a folder on the desktop with shortcuts to games, I prefer to have the icons instead, almost every time I restart my computer they are changed to detailed lists instead.

Finally, is there some easy way to change the view setting for a folder and ALL subfolders (but not other folders on the computer) simultaneously? Sometimes when you copy around stuff, download things and so on you might end up with a whole bunch of folders each one set for example as showing icons. How to easily change those (and no others) to have detailed view instead? Now I have to manually do it for each and every folder. And if I am unlucky, when I copy them to another hard disc they might all change again. It is SO annoying.

Thanks in advance for any answers, tips or comments.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.

Messages In This Thread
Questions about my home network - by Jarulf - 05-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Questions about my home network - by Taem - 05-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Questions about my home network - by Pantalaimon - 05-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Questions about my home network - by Taem - 05-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Questions about my home network - by kandrathe - 05-31-2008, 09:06 AM
Questions about my home network - by --Pete - 05-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Questions about my home network - by LochnarITB - 05-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Questions about my home network - by Jarulf - 06-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Questions about my home network - by kandrathe - 06-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Questions about my home network - by Jarulf - 06-03-2008, 06:29 AM