Traveling in Europe
Quote:So, any suggestions for what I should imbibe on my journey would be most welcome. I'd prefer to try local beverages as I travel, trying new labels that I wouldn't otherwise have access to.

gekko

That is the whole point. Local is nicer, ecologically better and usually also cheaper. In general don't go for the Jack and coke...leave that for when your back. If you happend to stumble on a Scotsman and tell him that you want to mix whisky he might hit you.....so if you want whisky drink it pure, no coke, no ice.
In London stick to beer and specifically drink ales (sometimes called bitter) it is usually not cold (as lager) but the english hardly make any lager, and the stuff they serve in pubs (import from europe) is usually without froth (foam, whatever it is called). If you plan to drink beers more often ask for the guest-ale.....this way you don't have to drink the same one all the time.

In amsterdam stick to lager beer (pils). You will find a lot of Heineken but if you look for it you will aslo find the other brands (the stuff from limburg (south) is very good in my opinion. If you want stronger stuff ask for a jenever where the older ones are more charachteristic just like what happens with whisky or tequilla.

In the southern parts go for wine. Usually the winelists specify the local stuff, and the waiters will for sure tell you. Always best to order a bottle in the touristy places instead of a jug (at least you know what you get, and with another winescandal in Italy you might not want to take the cheapest ones). I can give you some specified information, but as I said usually the waiters can tell you the local choice. Of course giving names of the winemakers does not make a lot of sense seeing that every restaurant has a different menu.
Still in Florence try things like Brunello, Chianti Classico or Nobile......but they will also be more expensive in general. In Rome try Montefiascone. In Venice for red try valpolicella, for white everything local.
Conclude meals with grappa especially in the north. Limoncello is another option, sometimes it is on the house.

Messages In This Thread
Traveling in Europe - by gekko - 04-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Traveling in Europe - by eppie - 04-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Traveling in Europe - by kandrathe - 04-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Traveling in Europe - by Jim - 04-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Traveling in Europe - by Kylearan - 04-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Traveling in Europe - by Kylearan - 04-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Traveling in Europe - by kandrathe - 04-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Traveling in Europe - by gekko - 04-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Traveling in Europe - by kandrathe - 04-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Traveling in Europe - by Occhidiangela - 04-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Traveling in Europe - by kandrathe - 04-22-2008, 05:16 PM