Is Obama hurting the Democratic Party by not joining forces with Hilla
Quote:Obviously, I disagree. I think not only is that which is out there generally unrepresentative, but that the longer clips show a different message than the shorter ones. Yes, he is angry at America. Yes, he is angry at racism. But no, he doesn't cross the line into bigotry. Does Cone? Yes, although I don't think that's all there is to the man. Does Farrakhan? Absolutely, and all his anti-poverty work does not make up for it. But does Wright? I don't see it. There's reading between the lines, and there's putting words in his mouth, and they're not the same thing.
I would agree that Wright is not as outrageous as Cone, and that Cone is less outrageous than Farrakhan. As for "cult" versus "Cult of Personality", I used the later intentionally. Rev. Wright is heretical to UCC doctrines, but I'm not sure where misdirected ends and cult begins. David Koresh is a horrible comparison to Wright in all ways, but in that a religious leader however weird and twisted can hold great sway over a group of people who are willing to believe the man over the standard accepted doctrine of their parent organization. Once a group deviates from the core beliefs, its easy to lose the way entirely. Another better example might be Jim Jones, who in SF was also originally a great social activist and beloved in the community who also over time strayed markedly from his original theology. Now, just to be clear, I was not "comparing them" in the sense of equal which we've discussed above, just that there is some congruence in this "cult of personality" surrounding someone who leads a church, and also in straying from the accepted theology of the parent organization.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Is Obama hurting the Democratic Party by not joining forces with Hilla - by kandrathe - 03-29-2008, 12:02 AM