Is Obama hurting the Democratic Party by not joining forces with Hilla
My hope was always that the Greens would try to get some momentum at the local level, which they could then work on building into state and possibly national relevance. I did some volunteering for local Green candidates, for example, but found that even out here in Oregon they can't seem to win anything but nonpartisan seats for local offices. Nor does that seem to bother anybody in the party; they seem to be mostly focused on asking me for money and holding conventions to select a presidential candidate.

So, I wasn't too impressed with the Greens, even though my politics are probably more in line with theirs than with the Dems. Also, I really don't see a way out of the two-party system here in the US, as much as I'd prefer a system that had room at the table for more points of view. So, I'm going to try to be practical rather than a hopeless idealist for a chance (gasp! must be old age creeping in :lol:).

Obama's message of unity and hopefulness really resonates with me, enough that I can overlook areas where our politics aren't exactly in sync. The US needs a leader that can do something to combat the cynicism that is politics as usual, and Obama's the first guy I've seen in a long time who's even trying to do that.

He made an unannounced visit to my town yesterday, too. I wasn't at the right place at the right time to catch him, unfortunately.

Oh, and Occhi, would you kiss your mother with that mouth?
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete

Messages In This Thread
Is Obama hurting the Democratic Party by not joining forces with Hilla - by Griselda - 03-22-2008, 10:30 PM