Greek Life
I would tend to agree that the experience of a fraternity will depend quite a bit depending upon the fraternity and university. At the UW, there were a number of pretty rowdy fraternities and sororities available for the people who enjoy that sort of thing. However, there were also a few more respectable groups that put much more focus on being civilized and giving back to the community. I have known people who have gone to both types of groups and I think most of them have had what they would call good experiences. I would note that several of the people that I knew who joined more rowdy fraternities didn't do as well in school after they joined, but I also knew people from them who did pretty well. I think it all comes down to where you put your priorities and what you put in/take out of the experience. If you can maintain your focus on your work while having fun with people and that is where your priorities lie, then it will probably turn out well for you. If you're easily distracted but don't care about your work as much, then you'll probably be happy, too. If, however, you want to put your work as the priority and you are easily distracted by what is going on, then things probably won't turn out quite as well unless you can find a group of like-minded people who provide you support rather than distractions.

Personally, I would never have had time or interest to join a social fraternity while I was in school. I was taking a full load of classes the whole way through (and fairly difficult ones, I might add) and my free time was usually tied up with band-related stuff, so the social fraternities were certainly not for me.

I am, however, a member of Kappa Kappa Psi (the college band service fraternity) and Tau Beta Pi (the engineering honor fraternity). KKY took up a fair amount of time, but it allowed me to do things like organize/participate in performances for charities (things like tutoring trombone at local elementary schools, going to play at retirement homes or helping to drum up support for floundering band programs) and it generally fit into my schedule. I got to know a number of friends much more than I would have, otherwise, and those are the people who I am still in close contact with now that we have all entered "the real world." The UW chapter of TBP didn't do very much but still gave me a few opportunities for moving into the business world and I was able to help jump-start the chapter (it had been down to a low of 1 active member the year before I joined). I think it is now going strong, so I was glad to help get that rolling again.
-TheDragoon

Messages In This Thread
Greek Life - by Baylan - 12-27-2007, 05:34 AM
Greek Life - by Maitre - 12-28-2007, 03:45 AM
Greek Life - by Griselda - 12-29-2007, 04:47 AM
Greek Life - by ima_nerd - 12-31-2007, 05:13 AM
Greek Life - by eppie - 01-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Greek Life - by TheDragoon - 01-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Greek Life - by Baylan - 01-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Greek Life - by LemmingofGlory - 01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Greek Life - by kandrathe - 01-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Greek Life - by Vandiablo - 01-07-2008, 05:28 AM