A Magnum of Bollocks
Haven't actually seen QoS yet (Despite working as an usher in a cinema. With free passes.), but between asking colleagues that have had the time free to watch it and from what I've seen during my regular screen checks, here's some of the thoughts buzzing around.

1) Too many chases. Seriously. Chase scenes take up about 99% of the action, and the fishing boat scene shatters suspension of belief with a fifty-pound sledge.
2) As a movie, it's fine. As a Bond movie, it fails for not being "Bond" enough. Yes, they made a concentrated effort to move away from the gadgets and the cheesy lines and Bond nailing every girl that comes his way, but if you're going to do that then there's no point in making a Bond movie, is there?
3) The dialogue seems pretty bad; Line, clunk, line, clunk, line, clunk. There's no natural flow or warmth or anything; the actors are just reciting the lines with all the dramatic flair of a primary school play.
4) Daniel Craig, for all his steel-eyed handsomeness, looks suspiciously like Norman Wisdom in several shots. I don't know if they're softening us up for an older Bond, but if Connery would revive his role it couldn't fare no worse than QoS.
5) Agreed with Dench's M. Someone better report her for theft, because she stole pretty much every scene I saw her in.
6) Did I mention the fishing boat scene was stupid?
7) Seriously, people were laughing at the fishing boat scene. Laughter in a Bond film is usually expected, but not for this reason.
8) Quantum of Solace was a short story written by Ian Fleming about a doomed marriage and all the assorted power plays within it. It had nothing to do with James Bond save for the fact that Fleming framed it as a story being told to Bond at a cocktail party so that he could include it in a collection of Bond short stories. If that alone was a big enough clue as to how un-Bondlike QoS would be, then I don't know what would.
9) Fishing boat. Stupid.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386

Messages In This Thread
A Magnum of Bollocks - by Occhidiangela - 11-16-2008, 02:41 PM
A Magnum of Bollocks - by NiteFox - 11-16-2008, 11:20 PM
A Magnum of Bollocks - by Occhidiangela - 11-17-2008, 01:03 AM
A Magnum of Bollocks - by kandrathe - 11-17-2008, 08:18 PM
A Magnum of Bollocks - by --Pete - 11-17-2008, 09:43 PM