Should blizzard remove trash timers?
Quote:Found a link to an interesting blog that discusses the merits of removing trash timers out of 25 man content.

http://blessingofkings.blogspot.com/2007/0...h-respawns.html

I have to agree completely with his arguments. Similar to bolty's discussion on removing attunement requirements I think that trash re-spawn timers are arbitrary limits that just get in the way of trying to learn the encounters. What is your opinion?

D

I see his point but I don't look at it quite the same way. Yes I would like more time to work on bosses. I know for us a trash respawn pretty much signals the end of the night. We only raid 2 nights a week for 2 - 4 hours a night (though some night do go to 6) and yeah more time on the bosses would be nice. But to me the trash is part of the boss fight. I do realize that some fights are set-up that way you have to clear the trash every time so if that is what Blizzard wanted that is what they should do. But while it's an arbitrary barrier I don't think that is bad.

I'll quote on part of his blog here

Quote:If we didn't have respawns, we could make better use of the time we have available, we could accomplish more. Probably not a whole lot more, but still

This is pretty much true. For us a trash respawn pushed our first lurker kill back a week. Had it not respawned we would have gotten him one raid night earlier as we finally got our strat clicking. But it wouldn't have changed our overall progress. We would have called the raid after we killed him anyway and then next week when we killed him again and poked at Hydross it would have been the same thing.

Trash respawns are part of the skill check in a way. When was the last time we worried about trash respawn in Kara or Gruul? A long time because it doesn't matter once you have the skill. Pretty much after you have killed the boss twice a respawn timer doesn't matter.

And if there was no respawn timer the elite guilds would move faster because they could clear all the trash, especially in a place like SSC where you can kill the trash and stay away from the bosses and then just hold the instance open till they got the crew they wanted and pound down the bosses. Clearing a new instance the first day it gets released would be even more likely. Heck we cleared some SSC trash with just 8-10 people on the day they removed the attunements because we were there after a heroic SV run and grabbed a few more to check it out. We were still mostly just raiding Kara at the time and weren't nearly as geared as we are now. Sure some trash does take the full raid. But not all of it. Remember how we would pre clear ZG trash as soon as we got 5 folks since we knew some people would be joining in later.

I dunno. Yes I get annoyed by trash respawns, and usually I'm all for removing something that annoys me but I don't think I want the timers removed from all the raid trash. There are some places where I want raid trash thinned out some and potentially put on a longer timer. But getting rid of the respawn timer completely, nah.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.

Messages In This Thread
Should blizzard remove trash timers? - by Kevin - 09-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Should blizzard remove trash timers? - by Klaus - 09-25-2007, 05:07 PM
Should blizzard remove trash timers? - by q4m - 09-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Should blizzard remove trash timers? - by Icebird - 09-26-2007, 03:21 AM
Should blizzard remove trash timers? - by --Pete - 09-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Should blizzard remove trash timers? - by Kevin - 09-28-2007, 01:37 AM
Should blizzard remove trash timers? - by --Pete - 09-28-2007, 01:46 AM