Upcoming games that makes me glad I'm a species born with opposabl
Quote:I'm not so sure you can say that will be next gen at this stage. I saw demos of HP's DLP chip back in 93 and they didn't hit production till what 2005 for HD sets. Plasma and other HD TV techs that were comparible hit market first. I was sure back in the mid 90's that DLP was going to be the it thing because it was so much better back then than anything else I had seen a working demo of. But right now it's still niche. I still think it provides a better picture quality than any other HD tech but they couldn't first to market (I think they had too many issues with mirrors sticking and if one got stuck you get a similar issue to a 'dead pixel' on an LCD.

I'm pretty sure that something else "next gen" will hit before any of the bio-chemical solutions that are being worked on hit market. Especially if you can't synthetically manufacture the bio material because quantity matters too. I've seen some of the stuff on the insect protien stuff but they are still having to extract the proteins from the bugs at this stage from what I understand, that won't fly for production products, they will have to be able to grow that protein in large quantities to produce anything for consumption by the public in most cases.

True, there are some technologies that have been on the back burner for a while. Crystalographic drives is a good example where you can store 250 TB of data in a crystalline cube that is a quarter inch on a side. This has been around since the early 90s, but it has real issues with shock as the data is stored in the atomic bonds in the crystalline lattice. Even a small variation in how the lasers are pointed will wipe a drive clean of data.

But right now, protein platters seem to be making a big in road, not just in the removable disk market, but also in the hard disk market. The ability to store data at such high densities makes for some interesting possibilities for data centers and information warehousing.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.

Messages In This Thread
Upcoming games that makes me glad I'm a species born with opposabl - by Lissa - 08-23-2007, 04:27 AM